Monday, May 9, 2011

13 Miles and Two Days Later

Me, Kari, Wendy and Matt at the starting line...


Hips hurt, quads hurt, knees hurt and ankles hurt.

Worth it?? You Betcha!!!

I can honestly say that I would have laughed in your face if you told me a year ago that I would:
1. Want to run in a half marathon and,
2. Actually finish.

But both came to pass last Saturday.

What a day it was, the weather was just ideal and the company was too..

Once again my buddy Matt was right there helping me blast through the chatter for the first 5 miles then he went on ahead.

I ran the first 10 miles which impressed me. I wasn't planning on running straight for 10 miles, but when I tried to walk all the blood that was pumping through my legs made it difficult to walk decent, so it was more comfortable running. Isn't the body great..

The last 3 miles I did intervals, I would run a little while then walk for a bit. By the end my running was the same speed as my walking. haha

The chatter was getting pretty loud by about mile 11 and my body was running out of steam. It's funny, I wasn't out of breath or exhausted but my legs were spent, they felt like tree trunks. But I pressed on.

When I rounded the last turn and saw the finish line in the distance, I knew I was home free.

What a great feeling it was to get close to the finish line and have family and friends and complete strangers there cheering you on and clapping and whistling. I felt like a million bucks.

My official time was 3hrs 8 minutes.

I am very glad I did it.

Next up? Full Marathon??

Well maybe not yet. But I am planning another half marathon for August.

7 comments:

  1. Hey there!!! So I just now discovered your blog from stalking you on facebook, and wanted to say how great it is!! I love it, and I miss you!! I'm going to continue blog stalking you away as motivation in my own weight loss journey if that's ok with you :). Awesome blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome Jared! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MADE THE BLOG!!!!!!!!!! I MADE THE BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now give me credit for forcing you into the race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha.. you crack me up..

    Yes, my dear blog readers, Kari is the reason I ran the half marathon. She literally sat me down and watched to make sure I registered for it. Kudos to Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job to you all, it's super impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know you and I can't even remember how I found your blog but way to go! I'm training for a half marathon now and am overweight so I know how hard it is. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete